Ambon/Dutch East Indies (1605-1945, Colony)

list of persons

Description:
The island of Ambon was discovered in the 16th Century (1511 or 1513) by the Portugese who named the island Amboina. Around 1527, the Portugese took the island in possession as a colony. At the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th Century, the appeared in the area. The V.O.C. (Verenigde Oost Indische Compagnie, VOC, Dutch United East Indies Company) entered into trade agreements with the local people of Ambon and the Moluccan islands. In 1605 the Dutch took permanent control over the islands.
Between 1611 to 1619, the Gouvernor-General of the Dutch East Indies resided on Ambon but subsequently moved his seat to the capital Batavia (now named Djakarta).
Between 1796 and 1810 and from 1810 to 1814, the islands were temporarily occupied by the British. In 1942, world war two, the Japanese occupied the islands.
When the Republic of Indonesia declared its independence after the Japanese occupation, the Ambonese rebelled against Indonesian rule and on April 25th, 1950, the Republic der Zuid-Molukken (RMS) ws declared. On August 17th, 1950, the Republic of Indonesia restored order in Ambon and on the south-Moluccan islands by military force.
Ambon has never known awards of its own and prior to and after world war two, it formed a part of the Dutch East Indies. The island is included here in order to distinguish military personnel of either side in world war two from those with the Ambonese nationality, although formally, it has never been an independent nation.
This website is an initiative of STIWOT. All rights reserved © 2002-2017. Privacy statement, cookies, disclaimer and copyright.
Other projects of STIWOT are: Go2War2.com, TracesOfWar.com, Oorlogsmusea.nl, STIWOT Forum, STIWOT Reizen and Tweede-Wereldoorlog.nl.
Webhosting by Vevida.