Ehrenblattspange des Heeres und Waffen-SS
Germany (1933-1945, German Reich)
Translation: Honour Roll Clasp of the Army
Number of awards in the database: 749
Total awarded for WW II:
|Right after the German invasion of the Soviet-Union, Hitler introduced in July 1941 the "Ehrenblatt des Heeres". Until 30th January 1944 this only was a paper award. On 30th January, Hitler introduced the clasp to this decoration. Persons already mentioned in the "Ehrenblatt" before that date, also received the decoration.
The Honour Roll Clasp of the Army had following requirements:
1. Already been awarded with the Iron Cross 1st class 1939 or the Repetition-Clasp 1939 to the Iron Cross 1st class 1914,
2. Having performed an act of bravery above and beyond the call of duty, that did not justify the Knight Cross of the Iron Cross and had not been awarded with the German Cross in Gold,
3. Has got a special appriciation record from the supreme commander of the Heer (Anerkennungsurkunde des Oberbefehlshabers des Heeres für seine hervorragenden Leistungen auf dem Schlachtfelde),
4. To be named in the Honour Roll of the German Army.
The awarding of the Honour Roll Clasp of the Army took place in three Steps:
1. Be named in the Honour Roll of the German Army (Nennung im Ehrenblatt des deutschen Heeres - this is the date in the list),
2. Be awarded the Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (Verleihung der Ehrenblattspange des Heeres),
3. Get the Honour Roll Clasp of the Army presented (Überreichung der Ehrenblattspange des Heeres).
The Waffen-SS and its legions as well as the police troops, were not a part of the Heer (Army), but for this decoration they were treated as if they were a part.